The BSUN represents the cooperation framework for Academic Institutions from the Black Sea Region. The BSUN intends to facilitate the inter-university cooperation and the generation of synergies among education, scientific research, innovation and cultural cooperation. At present, the Network includes 110 universities from the 12 member countries of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation, including Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Georgia, Greece, Moldova, Romania, Serbia, Russian Federation, Turkey and Ukraine.
BSUN cooperation topics for scientific research:
1. Sustainable Development
2. Networking on Innovation and Knowledge Transfer
3. Energy Security & Renewable Energy Sources
4. Advanced & Multifunctional Materials
5. IT&C – Networking & High Performance Computing
6. E-health & Telemedicine
7. Social & Cultural Cohesion in the BSR
The BSUN was founded in June 1998, when the rectors and representatives of more than 60 universities met in Constanta and agreed on the principles that have to govern a cooperation platform of flexible structure, without additional bureaucracy. At the level of the BSUN as an organization, it is the role of the General Assembly / Conference of Rectors from the Black Sea Region to evaluate strategic objectives and to define a framework program. Based on this program, the Executive Board and the Presidential Troika is identifying priority projects and activities.
- Supporting the efforts of BSUN member universities in the process of reform of Higher Education and integration in the European Higher Education Area;
- Strengthening the university autonomy;
- Improvement of quality of education and quality culture within Member University;
- Supporting the focusing of education processes on students;
- Exchange of best practices in the field of qualifications’ framework.
The position of the President of the Network is defined in the BSUN Statute as an elected position. The current Presidential Troika consists of:
– Prof. Giga Zedania, BSUN President in Office
Ilia State University, Georgia
– Prof. Pericles A. Mitkas, Future President of BSUN
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
– Prof. Vladimir Bumbaširević
University of Belgrade, Serbia